|A SHORT HISTORY OF THE GREEK ORTHODOX COMMUNITY IN MORGANTOWN, W.VA.
There has been an organized Greek Orthodox community in Morgantown, West Virginia since 1928. The first church was Saint Markella in the Sabraton section of Morgantown. This location made it hard for students and many parishioners to attend services. A committee was formed to try to find a more central location for the church.
In 1955, there were meetings, and trips were made to the Diocese and Archdiocese to gain recognition for the group trying to buy a "new" church. On March 28, 1955, recognition was granted by the Archdiocese. For the next few months, the services were held in the First Baptist Church in Morgantown, while the purchase of the "new" church was taking place. The First Christian Church was purchased, and many renovations were necessary to meet the standards of Orthodoxy.
The first service in the new church was held on Sunday, November 6th, 1955. Father Timothy Devetzakis of Saint Spyridon in Clarksburg officiated. The Morgantown Church was very indebted to the Clarksburg parish for sharing their priest with us for many months. The name Assumption was chosen by the congregation on March 17, 1957 after the mortgage was paid. Many generous donations of time, work, and money made the church possible. In 1969, the exterior of the church was renovated.
Bishop Maximos consecrated the church in October 7th, 1984. Our community has been enriched by students from West Virginia University who have made our parish their own while in school. The WVU students have helped in the choir, Sunday School, and in many other ways. In a small community, everyone's help is needed. We hope and pray that the Assumption Greek Orthodox Church will always be a vital part of Morgantown.